- What is the Clean Fuel Rebate for Electric Vehicle (EV) customers?
- Why is electricity powering EV considered to be clean fuel?
- What are the benefits of using electricity to fuel my vehicle?
- Why are there three rebates for each unique owner and/or lessee per Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)?
- Who can apply for the Clean Fuel Rebate?
- How much can I earn through the Clean Fuel Rebate?
- When can I apply?
- Can I apply on behalf of a member of my household, or a tenant, who owns an EV?
- Where do I find my Service Account number?
- What documents do I need to submit?
- How do I upload the documents?
- What happens after I submit my application?
- I'm not getting your emails. Where are they?
- What are the Terms and Conditions?
What is the Clean Fuel Rebate for Electric Vehicle (EV) customers?
The Clean Fuel Rebate is available to SCE residential customers who own or lease eligible plug-in electric vehicles. Funding comes from the State of California’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard (LCFS) program. The program encourages our customers to reduce transportation-related greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by encouraging them to adopt cleaner fuels, like electricity.
Why is electricity powering EV considered to be clean fuel?
Electricity is a low-cost fuel. It can be equivalent to approximately a $1 per gallon of gasoline when you charge during off-peak hours on one of SCE’s EV rates.
What are the benefits of using electricity to fuel my vehicle?
Driving an EV helps you reduce your carbon footprint by reducing your exhaust emissions. In fact, EVs cut carbon emissions by up to 70%, and they will continue to get even cleaner. EVs dramatically lower smog and greenhouse gases—even factoring in the emissions from production, distribution, and the generation of electricity.
Why are there three rebates for each unique owner and/or lessee per Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)?
SCE allows up to three rebates for each unique owner and/or lessee over the lifetime of a vehicle’s VIN as a way to encourage our customers to adopt both new and used plug-in EVs.
Who can apply for the Clean Fuel Rebate?
You may apply for the rebate if:
- You are a customer of Southern California Edison (SCE) with an active residential electricity account in SCE’s service territory. Note: Vehicles must be registered to individuals, vehicles registered to businesses are not eligible
- You own or lease an eligible plug-in EV listed on Drive Clean. For this program, EVs include both plug-in hybrid electric vehicles and battery electric vehicles but excludes electric bikes, electric motorcycles, electric scooters and neighborhood vehicles.
- The vehicle, identified by its unique Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), is registered at the same residential address as the address on your SCE electric service account. Note: your vehicle must be registered to the address associated with the SCE Service Account Number provided in your application. The SCE Service Account does not need to be in your name.
- You have paid the current vehicle registration fees in the State of California and are able to submit a digital copy of your permanent vehicle registration. Please refer to the Sample Supporting Documents for examples of accepted permanent registration copies.
- The full name you enter on the application must exactly match the full name on the vehicle's permanent registration.
- Your eligible plug-in EV has not received three Clean Fuel Rebates throughout its lifetime. Each plug-in EV, identified by its VIN, can qualify for the Clean Fuel Rebate up to three times over its lifetime, but only after a change of possession (i.e., new owner or lessee, as applicable). Each household may receive the Clean Fuel Rebate only one time for an EV, but if you transfer ownership, the new owner (or lessee, if applicable) will qualify for a rebate – as long as the new owner or lessee meets the other eligibility requirements and the vehicle has not reached the maximum of three rebates associated with the EV.
- If you have multiple eligible EVs in your household, you may receive a rebate for each vehicle if you otherwise qualify.
How much can I earn through the Clean Fuel Rebate?
SCE’s Clean Fuel Rebate amount is $450 through 2018. Future rebate amounts may increase or decrease compared to the 2018 value, and are subject to change at any time.
When can I apply?
You may apply for the rebate now. The program is expected to be available until 2020. You may decide when to apply for the rebate. Please keep in mind, the rebate amount is subject to change, and the program may end at any time.
Can I apply on behalf of a member of my household, or a tenant, who owns an EV?
No – the person who applies for the rebate must be the same person whose name appears on the vehicle registration form.
Where do I find my Service Account number?
You can find your Service Account number on the first page of your paper bill. It is located at the upper right corner directly above your service address.
If you have opted for paperless bill, you can find your Service Account number on your SCE online account site MyAccount. After logging onto MyAccount through www.sce.com, click on MySCE > Billing & Payments in the left navigation panel and click on View Bill to see your bill in PDF.
If you have opted for a bank bill pay option, you will not have the ability to view your bill online in a PDF. However, you can still find your Service Account number on MyAccount. After logging onto MyAccount through www.sce.com, click on My Account on the top menu bar and then click Services in the left navigation panel, your Service Account number is under the Service Account Information section.
You can differentiate your Service Account number from your Customer Account number because your Service Account number always begins with the number “3” followed with nine digits in this format: 3-XXX-XXXX-XX. Your Customer Account number always begins with the number “2” followed with nine digits in a different format: 2-XX-XXX-XXXX.
What documents do I need to submit?
You must submit the application and provide proof of ownership of your vehicle. At the end of the application process, you will be asked to upload a scanned copy or an image of the permanent vehicle registration. Please refer to the Sample Supporting Documents PDF for examples of accepted registration copies.
How do I upload the documents?
After you complete your online rebate application containing all the required information, you will be taken to the last step in the application process where you will upload a scanned image or photo of your vehicle registration form. Each supporting document must be in a single file. We accept PDF, JPG, and PNG files. Please make sure your files are not uploaded sideways.
What happens after I submit my application?
After you submit your application, we’ll send you a confirmation e-mail containing your application number and a link to a website where you can check your application status. Please save this e-mail and application number for future reference. You may also check your application status any time by clicking the link in your confirmation e-mail. When your application is approved, we will send your Clean Fuel rebate check to your mailing address on your application.
I’m not getting your emails. Where are they?
If you do not receive an email within 15 minutes after submitting your application form or a link to create/reset your password, please check your Spam / Junk / Bulk mail folder. To ensure the future delivery of emails associated with your application, add email@example.com to you address book or safe senders list.
What are the Terms and Conditions?
- To be eligible for the Clean Fuel Rewards Program (Rebate), you must (i) be a customer of Southern California Edison (SCE) with an active residential electric service account; (ii) own or lease a qualified plug-in electric vehicle (EV) registered at an address corresponding to their SCE account; and (iii) have paid the current vehicle registration fees in the State of California. Community Choice Aggregation (CCA) and Direct Access (DA) customers are eligible for the rebate.
- Up to three owners and/or lessees, as applicable, of a single qualified EV, identified by its unique Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), may receive the Rebate over the lifetime of the EV. Each Rebate on the same vehicle must correspond to a new owner or lessee, with a different residential address, evidenced by the information on the vehicle registration card. Applicant agrees not to apply, or to cause anyone else in his or her household to apply, for more than one Rebate for the same EV while Applicant or any family member residing at the same address continues to own or lease the EV.
- The current Rebate amount is set forth on the application. Rebate amounts are subject to change at any time and may be greater or less than the current value posted in the application in the future. Rebate funds are limited and are available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- If the customer name entered on the application does not match the name shown on the vehicle registration card exactly, SCE may edit the applicant’s name to match that on the vehicle registration card.
- Incomplete or incorrect applications will not be processed. Applications must include all required information, including documentation of vehicle registration and documentation of the registration fees paid. Important Note: The name and address on the Application must match exactly the name and address of at least one person listed on the vehicle registration card, or your application may be rejected.
- The rebate and the terms and conditions regarding this application are subject to change, and the Rebate can be terminated at any time by SCE and/or the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC). Any information provided in this application may be used internally by SCE for purposes other than processing the application and may be made available to the CPUC and the California Air Resources Board.
- You authorize SCE to send you email messages related to your application. You: (i) acknowledge that you are the authorized user of the email address provided in the application; (ii) grant SCE express permission to send emails related to your application to that email address until such permission is expressly revoked by you; and (iii) notwithstanding that this email address may be on the federal or a state's Do Not Contact list, acknowledge that such emails sent by SCE shall not be in violation of any Do Not Contact list(s)
- If necessary, SCE may request additional documentation from you to confirm eligibility for the Rebate.
- The Rebate payment shall go directly to the customer listed on the application. Payment cannot be assigned or transferred. Applicant is responsible for paying all tax liability imposed as a result of receiving the Rebate. Applicant should consult a tax advisor concerning the taxability of the Rebate, and SCE is not responsible for any taxes imposed on Applicant as a result of receipt of the Rebate.
- SCE makes no representations, expressed or implied, regarding the design, construction, reliability, efficiency, performance, operation, maintenance, or use of any vehicle, discussed, selected, rejected, purchased/ leased or otherwise considered by customer. Any decisions regarding the selection, design, purchase/lease, use and operation of any vehicle shall be at the sole discretion and are the sole responsibility of the customer. SCE does not guarantee energy or bill savings as a result of this Rebate.
- Release and Indemnification: Applicant agrees to release and hold harmless SCE, its officers, directors, shareholders, employees and contractors from and against any and all causes of action, damages, losses, claims, expenses, demands, costs (including attorneys’ fees and expenses and all court, arbitration or other dispute resolution costs), or any of them, resulting from, arising out of, or in any way directly connected with this Program, Applicant’s receipt of the Rebate, failure to receive the Rebate, any taxes associated therewith, or Applicant’s vehicle registration or registration status. SCE makes no representations or warranties regarding whether Applicant will or will not qualify to receive the Rebate.