A Reward for Fueling With Clean Energy
If you drive a new or used Electric Vehicle (EV), you may be eligible to receive a $450 Clean Fuel Rebate. By driving an EV, you’re contributing to a cleaner energy future.
The Clean Fuel Rebate is funded by the State of California’s Low Carbon Fuel Standard Program, which helps combat climate change by encouraging the use of clean fuels, like electricity, in vehicles.
Clean Fuel Rebate Eligibility Requirements
You may apply for the rebate if:
- You are a customer of Southern California Edison (SCE) with an active residential electricity account in SCE’s service territory. Note: Vehicles must be registered to individuals, vehicles registered to businesses are not eligible.
- You own or lease an eligible plug-in EV listed on Drive Clean. For this program, EVs include both plug-in hybrid electric vehicles and battery electric vehicles but excludes electric bikes, electric motorcycles, electric scooters and neighborhood vehicles.
- The vehicle, identified by its unique Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), is registered at the same residential address as the address on your SCE electric service account. Note: your vehicle must be registered to the address associated with the SCE Service Account Number provided in your application. The SCE Service Account does not need to be in your name.
- You have paid the current vehicle registration fees in the State of California and are able to submit a digital copy of your permanent vehicle registration. Please refer to the Sample Supporting Documents for examples of accepted permanent registration copies.
- The full name you enter on the application must exactly match the full name on the vehicle's permanent registration card.
- Your eligible plug-in EV has not received three Clean Fuel Rebates throughout its lifetime. Each plug-in EV, identified by its VIN, can qualify for the Clean Fuel Rebate up to three times over its lifetime, but only after a change of possession (i.e., new owner or lessee, as applicable). Each household may receive the Clean Fuel Rebate only one time for an EV, but if you transfer ownership, the new owner (or lessee, if applicable) will qualify for a rebate – as long as the new owner or lessee meets the other eligibility requirements and the vehicle has not reached the maximum of three rebates associated with the EV.
- If you have multiple eligible EVs in your household, you may receive a rebate for each vehicle if you otherwise qualify.
It's Easy to Apply for the Clean Fuel Rebate
To start the application process, you’ll need:
- Your SCE service account number. This number is located at the top of your SCE bill.
- Current vehicle registration card. Upload an image of your current vehicle registration card to complete the application process. If there are two names on your vehicle registration card, choose one vehicle owner or lessee to apply for the rebate. Only one of the owners or lessees, as applicable, may receive the rebate for a particular EV. Please Note: We do not accept temporary registration cards.
Important Note: Ensure all information on the Application is correct and legible. Please ensure that the name and address on the Application match exactly the name and address on the EV’s registration card. Incomplete or incorrect applications will be returned to you.
When we receive your application, we’ll review it to confirm eligibility. We’ll send you an e-mail confirmation when you’re approved, and we’ll send your Clean Fuel Rebate check to the address on your SCE account in approximately 10 to 12 weeks after you receive the approval confirmation e-mail.